Delight your tastebuds with this flavorsome curry, packed with the pungent spices of Southeast Asia.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Pan fry in batches in hot oil until browned all over, remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Using the same frying pan, sauté the onion in a little oil until almost fully cooked. Add a few tablespoons of coconut milk to the pan, then add the garlic, ginger and curry spices, and gently toss until fragrant.
- Add half the can of coconut milk, then add the shrimp paste, lemongrass, chili, sugar, fish sauce and tamarind.
- Put most of the peanuts in a blender with the remaining coconut milk (leave a few peanuts aside for garnishing). Blend until smooth and add to the curry sauce.
- Add the diced potatoes to the casserole dish and pour the curry sauce over the top. Mix to coat the beef and potatoes. Rinse the coconut can with a little water and use this water to deglaze the sauce pan. Add this liquid to the casserole dish.
- Cover with a disc of baking paper (cartouche), press down onto the meat and liquids (this will help trap and develop the flavours as it cooks). Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 2.5 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and peanuts.