This one is a tasty Californian classic and great to feed a crowd.
- Combine rub ingredients and massage into the tri-tip, ensuring all surfaces are well covered. Cover with foil (or an upside-down bowl) and leave for 1 hour to enable the tri-tip to come to room temp and the rub to work its magic.
- Preheat the BBQ on high. If you can have 2 settings, set one side with direct heat and the other with indirect heat.
- Sear the tri-tip roast on all sides, 3-4 minutes each side (or until it has a nice dark colour).
- When the tri-tip has a good sear on all sides, take it off the direct heat and place it on the top rack in the BBQ (if you have one) or use an oven grill rack to raise it off the BBQ hot plate.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 54°C (for medium rare), then remove and tent with foil for 10-15 minutes while it rests.
Blistered Butter Beans
- For best results, fry the butter beans in 2 batches to ensure the pan isn't overcrowded. Start by placing the butter in a medium-hot pan with the garlic and butter beans. Season with salt and pepper and fry beans until they blister and colour, then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle beans with the chilli powder and smoked paprika, then fold through the lemon juice and 3/4 of the spring onions.
- Finish by sprinkling with the remaining scallions and a pinch of smoked paprika.