A modern twist on a beef casserole - classic Italian herbs and vegetables give this delightful dish the 'wow' factor.
- Preheat oven to 320°F. Season beef with salt and pepper. Pan fry in batches in hot olive oil until browned all over, remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Fry onion, bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until onion has partially softened and garlic is fragrant. Season with 2 pinches of salt and a grind of black pepper.
- Mix tomato paste with beef stock and flour - make a smooth paste and pour into casserole dish.
- Add tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and dried herbs.
- Cover with a disc of baking paper (cartouche), press down onto the meat and liquids (this will help trap and develop the flavours as it cooks). Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 3 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Add cannellini beans, olives and fresh herbs.
- Serve with fresh toasted ciabatta or creamy polenta.