The rump cap is ideally suited to fast roasting and looks sensational when presented whole at the table to be carved in front of your guests. The layer of magnificent natural fat that covers the rump provides flavour and helps protect the meat as it cooks, keeping it moist. This BBQ glaze is best applied to the rump a full day before to allow maximum flavours to develop.
- Place all ingredients for BBQ glaze into a bowl and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Trim any excess fat from rump cap, pour BBQ glaze all over rump and allow to marinate for 4 hours, or overnight in the fridge.
- Remove rump from fridge and scrape off excess glaze. Allow to come up to room temperature for one hour before cooking.
- Cook on a medium heat BBQ with the lid closed for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Lightly brush with glaze every 10 minutes.
- Check it is cooked by using a meat thermometer (medium rare 54-60°C / 130-140°F) or a metal skewer inserted for 10 seconds, (it should feel hot when touched to your lip).
- Lightly cover with a piece of tin foil and a tea towel, set aside to rest for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Brush with BBQ glaze then carve and serve with mint & cucumber slaw.
Mint & cucumber slaw
Gently mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Garnish with black sesame seeds.