First Light venison leg steaks are naturally tender and perfect for quick, fast, high-heat cooking. Because First Light deer are young and have led a low stress life all four leg muscles (Rump, Topside, Silverside and Knuckle) are great for leg steaks. Remember to rest these steaks for a few minutes before serving to help retain their natural juices and tenderness.
- Season steaks with salt on both sides. Brush lightly with oil.
- Heat a large fry pan or bbq hot plate until very hot. Cook steaks a few at a time, browning until caramelised on one side only.
- Turn over and cook other side until browned.
- Remove steaks, place onto a tray with paper towels. Lightly cover with a piece of tin foil to keep warm and rest for 2–3 minutes.
- Heat a large fry pan with olive oil and butter. Add cavalo nero and cook until lightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.