Venison provides the best of both worlds with its high iron content and leanness, combined with fantastic flavor. These burgers are a perfect combination of the familiar and something a little exotic.
If making your own burger patties, combine all ingredients and mix well. Form into 1/4 lb burger patties (same diameter as your burger buns). Cover and refrigerate until required. Double this recipe if you want double-deckered burgers.
Sweet potato wedges
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Wash sweet potato, leave skin on and cut into wedges (approx. 2/3" on the thickest side).
- Lay wedges on a lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Use hands to spread oil over all surfaces.
- Bake for 25-30 mins (or until wedges are golden and soft in the middle).
Burger cooking & assembly
- Lightly brush the burger patties with oil.
- Heat the pan or BBQ to high and cook the burger patties on one side until they are well caramelized.
- Flip patties and sear for 1 minute, then reduce heat and place a slice of cheese on top of each patty. Cook until patties are caramelized and almost cooked through (by this point the cheese should be melted over the patties). Remove from heat and rest in a warm place for 2-3 mins.
- Lightly toast the buns cut sides down in the pan or on hot plate.
- Mix the aioli and mustard together and spread a heaped teaspoon on the base of the bun. Top with the patty and cheese, a slice of tomato, a few slices of avocado and lettuce leaves.
- Spread a heaped teaspoonful of beetroot relish on the cut surface of the bun crown and place on top to finish the burger.
Serve burger with sweet potato wedges or any other side/s of your choice.
Make sliders to feed a crowd by using the same recipe-just source small buns and a smaller tomato and halve the portions served!